About Carousel Theatre
Carousel Theatre for Young People inspires young people, families and artists with playful, accessible theatrical experiences which strive for artistic excellence. We support and educate emerging artists and audiences while enriching their hearts and minds.
- Artistic Excellence
Carousel Theatre for Young People is the leader in engaging young people in the transformative power of live theatre at its dedicated facility for the production and performance of Theatre for Young Audiences.
• To create productions designed to encourage youth and family audiences to enjoy the benefits of live theatre.
• To provide a means whereby actors, directors, and others engaged in the creation of live theatre may develop their skills through experience and training.
• To cooperate with other persons and organizations engaged in theatrical ventures and thereby provide an outlet for their work.
• To welcome and encourage artists who mirror our culturally diverse community.
• To assist and promote the production of Canadian Theatre and Canadian Theatre Artists.
Carousel Theatre for Young People (CTYP) was incorporated in 1976. In its early years the company performed at several different venues in Vancouver including the Arts Club Seymour Street and the Vancouver East Cultural Centre. CTYP has been based on Granville Island since 1981.
CTYP’s dedication to artistic excellence has resulted in critical acclaim and twelve Jessie Awards and 53 nominations in the Theatre for Young Audiences category in the past five seasons. Most recently, CTYP’s Bird Brain received three Jessie Awards in 2011, including Outstanding Production, TYA. Other recent productions of note include A Year with Frog and Toad, Seussical and The Odyssey, all of which received multiple Jessie Awards, including Outstanding Production, TYA. CTYP recently became the first TYA company in Canada to offer an audio-described performance for the visually impaired, through a partnership with the Vocal Eye.
Each season approximately 40 000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s programming. At Carousel Theatre for Young People we believe that the arts, and specifically theatre, plays a vital role in a young person’s development. It takes a village to raise a child. CTYP is an intrinsic part of that village.