Carousel Theatre for Young People welcomes applications for the position of a part-time permanent Director of Development beginning January 2015, with possibility of transition to full-time.
About Us: Carousel Theatre for Young People (CTYP) is an award-winning Theatre for Young Audiences company in Vancouver, BC. Each season more than 40,000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s distinctive programming. CTYP produces a Mainstage Season of Literary Classics, a Teen Shakespeare Program, a year-round Drama School for Young People (ages 3 to 17 years) and a community facility rental program. CTYP plays a unique role in the theatre ecology of our community; it is the only theatre company in BC that produces a fully professional season of Mainstage programming especially for young people.
Regular office hours are Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM but candidate must have flexible availability, including evenings and weekends for special events, meetings, evening performances and opening nights.
Role Description: The Director of Development (DD) plays a key role in cultivating long-term partnerships with audiences and community stakeholders in support of CTYP’s core value of achieving artistic excellence. Reporting to the Managing Director, the DD is responsible for planning and executing a dynamic, sustainable fund development strategy for both corporate and individual giving to support artistic activities, including our Mainstage season and Drama School. The DD will increase audience development and engagement while contributing to growing CTYP’s brand and profile and will be an active participant in the creation of a diverse, active and engaged community around CTYP.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing a comprehensive long-term fund development strategy, that includes corporate, individual and foundation programs that are aligned with CTYP’s vision and mission
- Executing innovative activities for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Identifying opportunities to align with community stakeholders and developing funding relationships
- Contributing content for grant proposals to corporations and foundations
- Meeting annual fundraising targets through managing individual giving campaign(s), special events, and corporate giving program(s)
- Tracking results and evaluating effectiveness of fundraising activities
- Executing the administration related to issuing tax receipts and other donor benefits
- Coordinating and executing donor recognition activities
- Participating in the Carousel Theatre Society’s Fundraising Committee
- Acting as a representative of CTYP to external bodies when required
- Other duties as required
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in development, administration, communications or a combination of post-secondary education and 3 years experience in development
- Excellent strategic thinker with knowledge of best practices, trends and opportunities in fund development
- Understands the value of building and maintaining long-term relationships and has a proven ability in creating those relationships. Is an ambassador of CTYP, a strong communicator who embraces our core values
- Solid knowledge of CRA guidelines
- Impeccable organizational skills, problem solving ability, thorough, can work to tight deadlines, and learn quickly
- Works effectively in teams and is motivated to work independently in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and comfortable in a busy office environment
- Demonstrated passion for the arts and/or non-profit work
- Assets: working knowledge of Theatre Manager, WordPress, Constant Contact
Please submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to Aliyah Amarshi, Managing Director, at email@example.com by Friday, Dec 19 at 4:30 pm.