Production Designer – Teen Shakespeare Program 2013/14
Carousel Theatre for Young People inspires young people, families and artists with playful, accessible theatrical experiences which strive for artistic excellence. We support and educate emerging artists and audiences while enriching their hearts and minds. Each season approximately 40 000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s diverse programming and activities, which include a Mainstage season of Literary Classics, a summer Teen Shakespeare Program, and a year-round Theatre School for young people aged 3 to 17 years. Located in the cultural hub of Granville Island, Carousel Theatre is the largest mainstage TYA company in British Columbia.
Reporting to the Artistic & Managing Director, the Production Designer will create a cohesive costume, set and properties design for the Teen Shakespeare Program’s production of Hamlet that reflects the Victorian Gothic theme that will be explored. The Designer will work with the director, stage manager and teen actors to create a design that will engage audiences while being easy to maintain.
The position is full-time (35 hours/week) from June 3, 2013 – July 27, 2013. The position is contingent upon funding.
• Create stage elements that aide in telling the story of the play
• Create and fully realize, from initial sketch to completed outfit, a costume design for each character
• Procure and make all hand properties required for the action on the stage
• Recruit and oversee volunteer stitchers and painters as needed to aide in realizing the design aspects
• Other duties as required
• Experience and/or training in production design
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to take initiative, thrive in a busy team environment and work flexible hours
• Driver’s license is an asset
• Criminal record check is mandatory
This position is contingent on funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program which requires candidates to:
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
• Be between 15-30 years of age at the start of employment
• Be a full-time student who is returning to full-time studies in the fall
• Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
• Not have another full-time job
• Not be attending full-time classes while carrying out this job
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 15, 2013 at 5:00pm.
TBD. Contingent on funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program.