Production Stage Manager – Teen Shakespeare Program 2013/14
Carousel Theatre for Young People inspires young people, families and artists with playful, accessible theatrical experiences which strive for artistic excellence. We support and educate emerging artists and audiences while enriching their hearts and minds. Each season approximately 40 000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s diverse programming and activities, which include a Mainstage season of Literary Classics, a summer Teen Shakespeare Program, and a year-round Theatre School for young people aged 3 to 17 years. Located in the cultural hub of Granville Island, Carousel Theatre is the largest mainstage TYA company in British Columbia.
Reporting to the Artistic & Managing Director, the Production Stage Manager coordinates and oversees the execution of the Teen Shakespeare Program, organizes and coordinates rehearsals and performances, liases with the director and other Carousel staff and acts as supervisor to the group of teen actors for the duration of the program.
The position is full-time (35 hours/week) from June 24, 2013 – August 11, 2013. Evenings and weekends will be required. The position is contingent upon funding.
• Create and distribute schedules
• Liaise between program departments including set, costumes, sound, lighting, stage management and program instructors
• Distribute information to other theatre departments
• Compile and operate prompt copy (noting changes to the set between scene changes, prompting actors and cueing technicians)
• Ensure the company’s welfare
• Maintain good working knowledge of all relevant health and safety legislation and good working practice
• Run the backstage and onstage areas during performances
• Other duties as required
• Experience in stage management
• Excellent communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Ability to take initiative, thrive in a busy team environment and work flexible hours
• First aid level one is an asset
• Driver’s license is an asset
• Comfortable with light manual labour
• Criminal record check is mandatory
This position is contingent on funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program which requires candidates to:
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
• Be between 15-30 years of age at the start of employment
• Be a full-time student who is returning to full-time studies in the fall
• Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
• Not have another full-time job
• Not be attending full-time classes while carrying out this job
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2013 at 5:00pm.
TBD. Contingent on funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program.