Opportunity: Assistant Stage Manager/Props Coordinator (Teen Shakespeare Program 2016)
Carousel Theatre for Young People provides playful, exceptional and accessible theatrical experiences that inspire, involve and educate. Each season approximately 40 000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s diverse programming and activities, which include a Mainstage season of Literary Classics, a summer Teen Shakespeare Program, and a year-round Theatre School for young people aged 3 to 17 years. Located in the cultural hub of Granville Island, Carousel Theatre for Young People is the largest mainstage TYA company in British Columbia.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Associate Stage Manager/Props Coordinator assists in the coordination of the Teen Shakespeare Program. The ASM/PC is responsible for creating and distributing schedules with the Program Manager, liaising between program departments including set, costume, sound, lighting, program management, and program instructors, distributing information to other departments, props procurement, creation and maintenance, and running the backstage area during performances. The position is full-time (35 hours/week) from June 20, 2016 – August 13, 2016. Evenings and weekends will be required.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs and the position is contingent upon funding.
- Create and distribute schedules, running lists and other paperwork
- Liaise between program departments including set, costumes, sound, lighting, stage management and program instructors
- Distribute information to other theatre departments
- Properties procurement and making of properties as required, as well as properties maintenance
- Maintain good working knowledge of all relevant health and safety legislation and good working practice
- Run the backstage area during performances, supervising and executing scene changes, quick changes
- Other duties as required
- Previous experience in stage management and running crews
- Previous experience making properties
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to take initiative, thrive in a busy team environment and work flexible hours
- Occupational First aid level one is an asset
- Driver’s license is an asset
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program which requires candidates to:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
- Be between 15-30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be a full-time student who is returning to full-time studies in the fall
- Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- Not have another full-time job
- Not be attending full-time classes while carrying out this job
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 7, 2016 at 5:00pm.
Remuneration: $12 per hour