JOB POSTING: PRODUCTION DESIGNER – TEEN SHAKESPEARE PROGRAM 2017
Carousel Theatre for Young People (CTYP) provides playful, exceptional and accessible theatrical experiences that inspire, involve and educate. Each season approximately 40 000 young people and their families benefit from CTYP’s diverse programming and activities, which include a professional Mainstage season of Literary Classics, The BEE Stage, the Teen Shakespeare Program, and a robust year-round Drama School for young people.
The Production Designer (PD) will create a cohesive set, lighting and sound design for the Teen Shakespeare Program’s outdoor production of Romeo & Juliet. In addition to creating stage elements that aide in telling the story of the play, the PD will create and fully realize the soundscape and lighting elements. The PD will work with the director, stage manager and teen actors to create a design that will engage audiences within the scope of the budget and the production resources available. This is a full time position (40 hours per week) for 8 weeks. Contract dates are: June 5 – July 29, 2017.
Evenings and weekends are required.This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs and the successful candidate must meet the criteria listed below.
- Create production design that achieves the head instructor’s vision
- Create a production design that is achievable within the provided budget and scope
- Creating corresponding lighting, sound and set design paperwork including ground plans, front elevations, maquette, cue sheets, magic sheets, and props lists
- Attending production meetings
- Actively leading a volunteer crew to build and paint set pieces as needed
- Procuring props as needed
- Other duties as required
- Previous experience in set design, sound design and lighting design
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to take initiative, thrive in a busy team environment and work full-time hours
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Vectorworks is an asset
- Proficiency in Qlab is an asset
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program which requires candidates to:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
- Be between 15-30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be a full-time student who is returning to full-time studies in the fall
- Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- Not have another full-time job
- Be able to work a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Not be attending full-time classes while carrying out this job
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 12, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Remuneration: $12.50 per hour