January 5, 2022
Audition Call: 2022 Teen Shakespeare Program
Carousel Theatre for Young People creates and performs on the unceded territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-waututh Nations.
Photo credit: Sarah Race, Costume Design: Emerenne Saefkow, Set & Props Design: Megan Lane.
Auditions for CTYP’s Teen Shakespeare Program are going online! Read on to learn what to prepare and how to submit for our 2022 production of Macbeth.
Applicants must be available for all rehearsals (starting July 4, Monday to Friday, 9:30am-4:30pm) and performances (Aug. 2-13). Availability for workshops prior to rehearsal is highly encouraged (Saturdays, Apr. 30, May 28, June 25). The workshops will be an opportunity for participants to get a crash course in Shakespeare basics, ask any questions before the first day of rehearsals, start to look at the script as an ensemble and to have a say in how your show will be presented!
This is a full-time, 5-week theatre training course for teens ages 13-17. The course will culminate in a series of public performances of Shakespeare’s Macbeth on Granville Island.
The Teen Shakespeare Program is a pre-professional training program for teens in the Lower Mainland. The program costs $975. Partial bursaries are available. Please reach out for more info.
For the audition, teens should prepare a video no longer than 5 minutes in length including:
- A brief introduction (name, how you heard about Teen Shakespeare, and what interests you about the program)
- Tell us one thing about you that has nothing to do with theatre
- A Shakespeare monologue, no longer than 2 minutes in length. Feel free to present your video as creatively as you’d like – whatever you want (or don’t want!), as long as we can hear your voice and see you clearly, the rest is up to you!
- Optional: If you play a portable instrument, play a short selection of music
- Optional: If you sing, sing a short, a cappella song
For Shakespeare monologue options, check out this link (pick something that excites you!):
Please upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo and submit the video link (provide a password if required) to email@example.com with the following PDFs by 5pm
on Feb. 15 deadline extended to Feb. 28:
- A headshot, school photo, or similar
- A one-page resume that lists any previous theatre experience and/or dance training, performance experience, and special skills
- A one-page cover letter that describes why you are interested in a career in theatre, what you hope to get from the program, and which roles in Macbeth interest you and why (all roles are available to all audition candidates)
Love theatre but not the spotlight? Curious about costume or set design? Does directing or stage management intrigue you? Do you have other ideas about how you would like to participate? Email us regarding possible opportunities to take part backstage or behind the scenes.
We are fully committed to treating everyone, including people of all races, backgrounds, abilities, those who identify as LGBTQIA2S+, gender-neutral, gender-fluid, or non-binary, with respect and understanding while fostering a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment free of any harassment or discrimination where we can all learn and grow together.