December 23, 2021
A Holly Jolly Carousel
Have A Holly Jolly Carousel with CTYP as we celebrate the holiday season all December long!
Always make sure there is an adult present when baking!
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾cup – butter (softened)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups – all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon – baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon – salt
- ½ cup – powdered sugar
- Decorator silver or black sugar pearls
- Orange candy or carrot shavings
- 20 small gumdrops
- Fruit snack roll (if desired)
- Chocolate mini-drops
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine sugar and butter in a bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 30 cookies: (10) 1 1/4-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons), (10) 1-inch balls (about 1 tablespoon), and (10) 3/4-inch balls (about 1 teaspoon). Place the same size balls, 2 inches apart, onto cookie sheets lined with baking paper.
- Bake 1 1/4-inch balls 9-11 minutes, 1-inch balls 8-9 minutes, and 3/4-inch balls 5-7 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Press black or silver sugar pearls into larger cookies (base and body) for buttons and into the smallest cookie place coloured chocolate drops to create a face. Use a toothpick to create a hole for your nose. Press orange candy or shaved carrots into the face for the nose.
- Stack cookies, larger to smaller, to make snowmen.
- For each hat, cut 1 gumdrop in half, flatten the bottom half into a 3/4-inch disk, attach top half sticky-side down, to disk. Place it on top of snowmen. Repeat with remaining gumdrops. Use a fruit roll to create a scarf, if desired.
Please consider supporting our work at Carousel Theatre for Young People this season by purchasing a gift certificate for a loved one or by donating to our Give the Gift of Theatre holiday campaign. Thank you to our sponsors: TC Cluckers and NewWestCondo.com / Team Cindy Gering.